Meeting Notes: May 28, 2014
Present: Sally Mendes, Laara Eames, Maria Poletti, Nola Martin, Jim Fisher, James Dodson, Nick McCubbin, Stuart Midgley Apologies: Marion Coffey, Keith Coffey, Chris Erlandson, Craig Walters
1. Business Arising:
a. Ask for a report of the expenditure of the developers contribution levy.
Action: Bo will ask a question at council.
b. Action: Craig, Robin Scott letter to ask question in parliament.
c. Action: Reminder to push for a much better planning register. When budget time comes up we should go in and bat on behalf of the planning department.
d. Darebin Planning Dept’s proposed Governance Charter.
Action: for Maria to follow up on research.
e. Trees, signs on trees in Carlton gardens showing their cost value over life-time,
Action: Maria to do same for street trees. Done but not hung.
f. Sending Robin Scott the panel submissions for information. Action: Maria
2. New Business:
a. Residential Zones Standing Advisory Committee – Darebin Planning Scheme:
Omission on the map were the developments at northland and the major growth corridors which will be addressed at a later date Third party objector rights seem to be protected One on one issues from Alphington group which may have a cross over for us Indication that new zones are supposed to be a direct translation from the old, hence the low percentage of NRZ Indication that those areas that were automatically translated to NRZ because of caveat protection may not have that protection in the advisory committees report Developers peddling the same old lines of more diversity in development creating cheaper housing and better meet the needs of housing in Darebin in the future
b. Minister Guy meeting; No longer a promise to protect 50% under the NRZ but instead 50% across Melbourne which means if Boroondara gets 80% we could get 30% if we are lucky.
The Minister made a comment about feeling bullied by correspondence we send him.
c. Reply to Minister Guy letters, One received by DADA. Did anybody else receive a reply?
d. Darebin Jury, Nola Martin is a member and is happy to take DADA ideas and suggestions.
2 million budget to spend, 1 million this year and 1 next year. Council has decided they will accept all the ideas or non from the Jury. We have asked for a planning advocate and suggested an audit of the significant trees and a register for private land. Nola will push Mayor to not pass a planning application for 2 years after trees have been removed.
4. Council Report:
a. VCAT is moving to the intercultural centre
6. Objector Updates:
a. 22 Sylvester Grove, Preston
b. 48 Murphy Grove, VCAT decision to grant the application
c. Don Street, VCAT decision to uphold council’s refusal of the application
d. 21 David, Preston, application is for 2 double story buildings with 5 dwellings, closing date 9th of June
7. Strategy Ideas;
a. Presenting Council with a bill for work done by objectors that should have been covered by
b. DADA awards for the ‘best’ Darebin planning decisions, the Golden Guy award for development
monstrosities in Darebin 2014. Start collecting photos of nominations now.
8. Next Meeting: 7.00pm, Wednesday, June 11th at 33 Dean Street, Preston.