Dear DADA Folk,
We met and chewed the fat. Attached are the notes.
I have worked further on a DADA Charter. It is also attached a draft*. Suggestions are most welcome.
The aim is to ratify the charter next meeting so we can move ahead with incorporation.
Below is a link to a site called Planning Alerts. It will send you emails of planning applications submitted for sites near you. Very handy and saves all that walking!! Thank you Mandy.
Meeting Notes: 15th of April, 2015
Present: Marion Coffey, Keith Coffey, Chris Erlandson, Maria Poletti, Craig Walters, Sally Mendes, Mandy Baird, Stuart Midgley, Laara Eames
1. Business Arising:
a. New Zoning wash-up: Meeting with Robin Scott on 27th Feb. Chris, Craig and Maria attended. Robin was very sympathetic to our concerns and has talked to the Mayor and CEO about the allocation the NRZ. He also indicated that the new Planning Minister was going to review the result. He said he was aware of the issue of the oversupply of one and two bedroom dwellings in Darebin. One of the things we asked him to do for us was to organize a meeting with the Planning Minister, Richard Wynne. Also Robin indicated that the government is moving with legislation to allow VCAT members to take into account the number of objections. Action: Maria to follow up re: minister meeting.
b. Golden Guys seem a popular idea but not at the moment, perhaps another time. Chris has suggested we go to council with the idea of an award for best sustainability practice Action: Chris to research other councils and bring back ideas to us to then take to council. Scrap book idea for DADA web site where people can send in photos of poor development, before and after shots, basic details like address, developers names, details of faults, what is planned.etc. Action: Maria
c. Council flooded with planning applications; Action: Nola sending a further letter asking for some clarification of money collected and spent. Action: Maria to seek out FOI process.
d. New, permanent, Preston Leader reporter is Harrison Tippet. Editor Andre is also new.
Action: Maria to contact both.
e. Darebin’s Draft Water Strategy: Chris sent in a submission. Craig also sent in a submission that focused on water versus development issues, and got a reply of thanks.
f. Question to council about developers recycling as many materials as possible. We will begin to talk and form more ideas on the quality of demolition as well as the quality of the build. Action: Craig will formulate and ask questions at a council meeting.
g. For the Blog, before and after photos, Gone but not forgotten, RIP houses, Action: Craig to send photos to Maria.
2. New Business:
a. DADA charter: Action: Maria to send out draft for further feedback, then bring to next meeting for ratification.
b. In the model rules we need to have a president, vice president, a secretary and a treasurer and an ordinary member. For record keeping purposes best to keep membership numbers low until there is a need to protect.
3. Council Report:
a. Special meeting after Easter in camera looks like it was to discuss CEO salary.
b. Further postponed decision on C137 next meeting is 20th of April. We are due back in VCAT on 629-631 Plenty Road on 22nd.
c. Application for Community Grants are due 27th of April
d. Planning Minutes of 13th of April has the details of a Regent Street site.
e. Paul Crapper has gone from council.
a. Closing off Gourock Street, in Reseviour to create an extra bit of park, perhaps trying to increase
green space. Action: Keith and Marion to reply suggesting particular conditions for an urban
b. Discussed other city councils plan for buying up houses to eventually convert into public open
space. Action: Maria to do more research to bring back to the meeting.
c. New Summerhill complex parking problems discussed
d. Plenty Road; 2 houses just past aquarium, music shop on east side, big significant trees taken
out. Action: Mandy to look at Darebin GIS to check past geography and alert council to tree
e. Shaftsbury Parade, Thornbury, Folk trying to build in back yard, behind proposed development in
St George’s Road, applied for approval but have been stonewalled by council.
f. Action: Maria to follow with Mary Drost re: meeting with the Minister for environment to discuss
the issue of street trees and loss of trees in Darebin due to over development.
a. Vic Roads: Traffic noise have your say. Chris made a submission.
b. The Age; Friday 10th of April; Boroondara have limited height to three stories across the whole
c. The Age; Minister knocks back Grocon’s plan for city tower. Minister’s comments on effects on
daylight and surrounds, overshadowing, overwhelm the area etc.
d. The Age April 8th; Comments page Developers stealing amenity from Kew. Action: Maria to add to
6. Objector Updates:
a. 60 Mansfield St, Thornbury at VCAT Mon 01/06/2015
b. 137 Mansfield St, Thornbury at VCAT Fri 19/06/2015
c. 672 Plenty Road, drycleaners site. Council officer has met with the applicant but still no indication
if or when it will go to Planning Committee.
7. Strategy Ideas 2015
Next Meeting: 7.00pm, Wednesday, May 13th at 33 Dean Street, Preston.