Dear DADA folk,
Please find attached notes from last nights meeting, and the final charter.
Also, a link to an article in today’s Age newspaper about ‘dog box’ apartments.
Meeting Notes: 13th of May, 2015
Present: Marion Coffey, Keith Coffey, Chris Erlandson, Maria Poletti, Craig Walters, Mandy Baird, Stewart Midgley, Rosie Moffat, Tim Laurence
Apologies: Sally Mendes, Laara Eames
1. Business Arising:
a. New Zoning wash-up: Meeting with Robin Scott on 27th Feb. Chris, Craig and Maria attended. We
asked him to organize a meeting with the Planning Minister, Richard Wynne. Action: Maria to
follow up re: minister meeting. Done. Reply received: No meeting planned. Decided to wait till
next meeting before we act to organize a meeting with the Minister.
b. Golden Guys seem a popular idea but not at the moment, perhaps another time. Chris has
suggested we go to council with the idea of an award for best sustainability practice Action: Chris
to research other councils and bring back ideas to us to then take to council. Scrap book idea for
DADA web site where people can send in photos of poor development, before and after shots,
basic details like address, developers names, details of faults, what is planned.etc. Action: Maria
c. Council flooded with planning applications; Action: Nola sending a further letter asking for some
clarification of money collected and spent. Action: Maria to seek out FOI process.
d. New, permanent, Preston Leader reporter is Harrison Tippet. Editor Andre is also new.
Action: Maria to contact both. Spoke to Harrison and gave him contact details
e. Question to council about developers recycling as many materials as possible. We will begin to
talk and form more ideas on the quality of demolition as well as the quality of the build. Action:
Craig will formulate and ask questions at a council meeting.
f. For the Blog, before and after photos, Gone but not forgotten, RIP houses, Action: Craig to send
photos to Maria.
g. Closing off Gourock Street, in Reservoir to create an extra bit of park, perhaps trying to increase
green space. Action: Keith and Marion to reply suggesting particular conditions for an urban
h. Discussed other city councils plan for buying up houses to eventually convert into public open
space. Action: Maria to do more research to bring back to the meeting. Stonnington Council
i. Plenty Road; 2 houses just past aquarium, music shop on east side, big significant trees taken
out. Action: Mandy to look at Darebin GIS to check past geography and alert council to tree
removal. Done: Mandy bought info to meeting and will keep an eye out for the application.
j. Action: Maria to follow with Mary Drost re: meeting with the Minister for environment to discuss
the issue of street trees and loss of trees in Darebin due to over development. Done: on the list
of participants for the meeting. No date as yet.
k. The Age April 8th; Comments page Developers stealing amenity from Kew. Action: Maria to add to
blog. Done; Blog 9
l. DADA charter: Action: Maria to send out draft for further feedback, then bring to next meeting.
Done: Charter completed Maria to circulate final copy.
2. New Business:
a. House in Murphy Grove sold for 1.76 million, apparently bought by developers looking to put 16
units on it. Rosie passed on contact details of concerned neighbour.
3. Council Report:
a. Amendment C136 and C137 – status update says it is off the council agenda for now.
b. Leader article re CEO’s new contract and Mayor’s unilateral decision which is putting important
council business/decisions relating to development behind
c. Preston Market: Action: Craig to look at special meeting video and bring back to next meeting. Salter Group are the developers. Ask questions to Council regarding the discussions with the minister about Preston Market.
d. CEO and Mayor in talks with Dick Wynne regarding the NRZ outcome in Darebin. Seems there has been some agreement to use then with Moreland model. Wynne has agreed to a process without consultation. Planning Officers have prepared a plan with approx 88% protection under 3 zones. The 88% includes 62 % of NRZ 1 and NRZ 2. Action: Attend Council meeting and ask what does the new map look like and when will it be public for comment? What is the process for consultation? Next council meeting Monday night 18th of May, 7pm. Chris and Maria, Keith and Mandy. Always ask for a written reply. Please explain the difference between NRZ 1 and 2?
e. Food van proposal for site across from Croxton Pub.
a. From Jon McLeod: Just found your website. My wife and I live at 65 Mansfield Street.
We support the work you’re doing and thank you for your efforts on the behalf of all Darebin residents. We will show up at a meeting over the next few months and introduce ourselves. I have added myself to your mailing list. b. From Mary Drost: Just picked up this flyer from VCAT they are running a free session – called understanding the VCAT process, 12 – 1pm for planning disputes, Saturday 16th May at 223 William Street, William Cooper Justice Centre. c. SOS Planning Update: Circulated and discussed
a. Maria had a phone interview with Julia Erwin of The Leader regarding the review of the new zones. She was specifically asked what percentage of NRZ we would want to see, answer 80%.
6. Objector Updates:
a. 629 Plenty Road, Preston, Chris, both members were great, gave us a very fair hearing and on top of everything. The hearing was originally set for 2 days but extended to 3 ½ days. Rachel Naylor (chair) and Susan Porter were hearing the case. We feel cautiously optimistic about a result.
b. 24 Mutimer St, Preston from Rohan Davies, 4 double story dwellings on a house block. Maria sent information on process and then followed up with a draft list of objections as per Stewart’s suggestion. Maria and Stewart working on the list of vague objections.
c. A big ‘thank you’ to Mandy for the planning alerts website info.
d. 748 to 750 Plenty Road, 4 stories, 22 apartments with some at 40 square metres. Mandy to keep an eye on it.
7. Strategy Ideas 2015
Next Meeting: 7.00pm, Wednesday, June 3rd at 33 Dean Street, Preston.