Dear DADA Folk,
We are still busy beavering away on over-development issues in Darebin. Lots of actions in this months notes. I will be asking for your help to help others in subsequent emails.
Next Meeting: 7.00pm, Wednesday, April 15th at 33 Dean Street, Preston | Details
Meeting Notes: 11th of March, 2015
Present: Marion Coffey, Keith Coffey, Chris Erlandson, Maria Poletti, Craig Walters, Sally Mendes, Mandy Baird, Stuart Midgley, Laara Eames Apologies: Susan Rennie
1. Business Arising:
a. New Zoning wash-up: Meeting with Robin Scott on 27th Feb. Chris, Craig and Maria attended. Robin was very sympathetic to our concerns and has talked to the Mayor and CEO about the allocation the NRZ. He also indicated that the new Planning Minister was going to review the result. He said he was aware of the issue of the oversupply of one and two bedroom dwellings in Darebin. One of the things we asked him to do for us was to organize a meeting with the Planning Minister, Richard Wynne. Also Robin indicated that the government is moving with legislation to allow VCAT members to take into account the number of objections. Action: Maria to follow up re: minister meeting.
b. Golden Guys seem a popular idea but not at the moment, perhaps another time. Chris has suggested we go to council with the idea of an award for best sustainability practice Action: Chris to research other councils and bring back ideas to us to then take to council. Scrap book idea for DADA web site where people can send in photos of poor development, before and after shots, basic details like address, developers names, details of faults, what is planned.etc. Action: Maria
c. Craig suggested we should become incorporated for our own protection and that it is very important to include in the charter for an incorporated body everything that covers objecting to over-developments. Also need to consider directors insurance. Action: Craig will organize papers for next meeting. Maria to look up charter ideas/examples.
d. Council flooded with planning applications; Action: Nola sending a further letter asking for some clarification of money collected and spent. Action: Maria to seek out FOI process.
e. New, permanent, Preston Leader reporter is Harrison Tippet. Editor Andre is also new.
Action: Maria to contact both.
f. From Mandy Baird: 672 Plenty Road, Initial distribution done. Action: Maria to send objection form to network with an explanation as to why they should send in their objection.
g. Darebin’s Draft Water Strategy: Chris sent in a submission. Craig also sent in a submission that focused on water versus development issues, and got a reply of thanks.
h. Preston Market: planning meeting, planners have come back to Darebin insisting on 28 stories at Preston Market. To be heard at council meeting next Monday 16th of February. Debate can be seen from webcam capture on Darebin website. Action: Mandy to ask her kids how we can capture from the webcam. Craig will also investigate possibilities to capture.
i. Amendments C136, C137 & C138 to the Darebin Planning Scheme.
Action: Questions to council about C138. What percentage of NRZ was requested of the minister? What is the height limit on Plenty Road? Council recommend only 35% NRZ Chris asked about the height restriction on Plenty Road around Tyler Street and further north. Also asked why even after the community consultation meetings, where it was made clear that the community didn’t want 6 stories, council didn’t take any notice. Chris has not as yet had a written reply.
2. New Business:
3. Council Report:
a. Meeting 16th of February council postponed making a decision on C137 and C138 and the Preston Market development.
a. East Preston Primary, urban farm people want to put in a garden. Council has approached the principal about developing a garden and community space on the open land. Craig thinks as part of the open space 10 year plan. We will see what comes of it but looks as though the school is amenable.
b. Question to council about developers recycling as many materials as possible. We will begin to talk and form more ideas on the quality of demolition as well as the quality of the build. Action: Craig will formulate and ask questions at a council meeting.
c. For the Blog, before and after photos, Gone but not forgotten, RIP houses, Action: Craig to send photos to Maria.
d. Community Development Reference Group: an idea via email from Kelly Wickham
a. This week’s leader the Preston new housing frontier by Julia Irwin. Median house prices on the rise.
6. Objector Updates:
a. 629-631A Plenty Road, VCAT Hearing, Chris, Stewart, Maria. We divided the work on this and targeted expert reports. That section of Plenty Road is bicycle hostile. Discussed internal amenity and ESD. Action: Maria to send to network the 2 letters and encourage people to also write before the meeting on the 16th re: C137.
b. 3 and 7 Harold Street, Preston update: Susan Rennie spoke at Council Monday night against the proposed 13 units for 3 Harold Street. Council officer had recommended granting permit. Fortunately Council voted against this overwhelmingly. Same story re 7 Harold Street a fortnight ago – officer recommended granting permit, Council voted against 5-2. Action: Maria to ask Susan which 2 councilors voted for the development.
c. Park end of Madeline Street block flattened. This was one we fought but lost at VCAT. Laneway issue involved a key issue. Discussed laneways as strategic spaces that will help block lot consolidation and over development.
d. 80 Darebin Boulevard, second application. 3 dwellings on the block, 2 x 2 story buildings and a single, 2×2 bedrooms and a three bedroom dwelling. Objections due soon. Action: Keith will send Maria the info to send to the network.
8. Strategy Ideas 2015
Next Meeting: 7.00pm, Wednesday, April 15th at 33 Dean Street, Preston.