Dear DADA Folk,
We met and had a lot of talk.
Here are the notes.
If you can make a bit of time to help us out it would be greatly appreciated. There is much to do, still.
Darebin Appropriate Development Association: Protect Your Community
Inc. No. A0094111Q
Meeting Notes: 10th of May, 2016
Present: Marion Coffey, Keith Coffey, Maria Poletti, Mandy Baird, Sally Mendes, Meryl Waugh, Jessica Doyle, Craig Walters, Chris Erlandsen, Dale Sulman
Apologies: Stewart Midgley, Susan Rennie
1. Business Arising:
a. Discussed other city councils plan for buying up houses to eventually convert into public open space. Action: Maria to do more research to bring back to the meeting. Stonnington Council
b. 748 to 750 Plenty Road, 4 stories, 22 apartments with some at 40 square metres. Action: Mandy to keep an eye on it. Ongoing
c. Reply from the Minister’s office to Mandy’s emailed letter circulated and discussed Action: Mandy to reply in disgust to how condescending and deflective it is.
d. Follow-up with Robin Scott’s office. Maria called back and spoke to Robin’s assistant but there was nothing new. Action: Maria to call and ask to speak to Robin or for him to call back.
e. Discussion of lot consolidated sites over 1000 square metres or 1200 square metres. Also the interface is a concern that it isn’t integrated. Action: Craig to ask D Rudd about footprint on consolidated blocks and the status of garage
f. 137 Mansfield Street, 2nd day in VCAT, Member said she will visit the site and that we will all be invited to attend. No word yet of the visit date. Expect a decision in January. Member put a time limit on objectors to ask questions of expert witness. The member would not accept the number of objectors. James Livingston acting for Council asked only one question of the first expert witness. Action: Meryl to write to Darren Rudd after DADA is incorporated regarding the work of the council representative. The letter will have DADA imprimatur.
g. Maria found a variation in the Planning Committee minutes. Action: Maria to write to the CEO and CC Councilors after checking with Robert Phillips as to how this can happen.
h. Sally suggested we go to town planner courses and ask if final year students will do pro-bono work on behalf of objectors. Action: Sally
i. We need to open a DADA bank account Action: Craig to pursue opening a bank account with Bendigo Bank.
j. Suggested corruption by developers asking for specific members to hear their case and that somebody should collect the data and talk to the papers. Action: Maria to contact Lucas Clay from the age to ask if he will do the research.
k. Email address list attached to C156 notice: Action Maria Contact those not on DADA list and invite to site and meeting
l. VCAT is planning on charging people to object/be a party to a proceeding. Fee of $51 dollars.
Information about the reforms, the proposed regulations and how to make a public submission, are available at http://myviews.justice.vic.gov.au/vcat-fees-regulations-2016 Public comments and submissions will close on Monday 2 May 2016. Direct action also suggested. Suggested we plan a protest outside VCAT with other Victorian planning groups. Action Maria to raise a protest idea with Mary Drost from Planning Backlash and start an online petition to go to the media and VCAT. Also explore the idea of a crowd sourced half page add. Action: Meryl to write submission on behalf of DADA
m. 305 to 307 Plenty Road, John thanked DADA for their supportive objections and did a letter drop, as of last Friday 33 objections. Action: John will send us templates he used to share. Done and thanks.
2. Amendment C156: with only 35% NRZ. Met with D Rudd and G Hughes on Thursday the 14th of April. Report on meeting. Agreement that DADA continue to press council to make a case for more coverage of NRZ.
3. Meeting with the Mayor, CEO, Manager of Finances and Manager of Planning on the 21st of April. Meeting discussed. Suggested that council prepare a checklist so that we can more easily see what the application holds. An example for feedback was circulated. Action: Maria to add suggestions. Meryl has started a spread sheet to help breakdown planning applications so we can more easily assess planning applications.
4. Letterboxing to get direct neighbours to object: Action: Mandy has begun printing the materials we develop for direct neighbours and dropping in letter box in Cazaly Ward. Chris has offered to help her. We need volunteers to do the same in Rucker and Latrobe Wards. Posting on the website a page for neighbours to use and the refusal. Refusals are also being mined for common objection list. Call for folk to help. Please contact Maria if you can.
5. DADA objector handbook completed and ready to go. Draft copies circulated. Suggested additions collected and added so handbook will be launched. Suggested that we include a time link so that the handbook becomes unreadable after a certain amount of time. Also suggested updates are marked as versions. Action: Maria
6. GC42 includes ESD criteria for assessing planning applications. It is a recent development in Darebin. Will apply across the whole municipality and was developed in conjunction with Manningham Council. Seems to be giving permission for a lot of ESD requirements without some overviews like screening and sighting. Giving a big tick without an understanding of the consequences. There is concern about trade off for ESD inclusions of extra height. Action: Go back to council on more information.
7. Managing Residential Development Advisory Committee: Maria and Chris presented on behalf of DADA on Friday the 6th of May. Darebin Council presented same day. DADA submission can be read on the DADA website under DADA Blog 20. Follow the link: https://www.darebinada.org/dada-blog/dada-blog-20-managing-residential-development-advisory-committee-presentation
Councils presentation was disappointing at only 30 minutes. The chair asked the reps if they knew they were allowed 3 hours to present. Darebin was described as a middle-ring suburb. Council made a number of references about seeking guidance on amendments and the Better Apartments guidelines. Council is looking at intackness, consistency and constancy measures for zoning. Action: Craig to question council at the next meeting on why the council submission was so short and inadequate. Keith will also ask a question if needed.
8. Sale of Education Department land in Reservoir; Keith and Marion attended community meeting which was held in the wrong place for the communities affected to access. Reported as another sham consultation but still submissions are called for and need to be submitted by 27th of this month. Mooted that zoning will change to GRZ and Industrial. Council can’t afford to buy but we would love to see it go to Darebin for reuse especially for open parkland, refuge housing or low cost housing all much needed in Darebin. Where is the local member on this? Action: Keith will talk to Robin Scott about support for the land going to council.
9. Planned Statewide community meeting about the new zoning travesty on Sunday 29th of May at 2.30pm at Camberwell Civic Centre. Action: Put it in your diary.
10. From the papers: Sunday Age 1st of May article on apartment boom and why it is not meeting the future needs of Melbournians. Shortage of separate family homes included.
Age Tuesday 10th May: Redevelopment of Public housing, 30,000 on the waiting list. Including Huttonham Estate development in Preston. Tender documents were released in 2011.
11. Meet the Candidate, Jessica Doyle for Cazaly Ward. Jessica spoke about her commitment to improve development in Darebin. Action: Jessica will send us a link to her website. Maria will send Jessica example of past candidates statements.
12. Council Meetings News:
13. Planning Committee Meeting News:
14. Blog: Ideas for content welcome.
15. VCAT Updates: New rules at VCAT about who can be a party to proceedings. It is not possible to be a party unless you tick the box on the statement of grounds that indicates you will attend the hearing and present. If you cannot make the hearing it is then possible to be represented by somebody who can otherwise your grounds alone will be considered by the members/s hearing the case. DADA is now included as an objector so that DADA can be a party and a DADA official can represent DADA but individual objectors will not be included as a party.
16. Objector Updates:
a. 425 Plenty Road, at VCAT. Debrief next meeting.
b. 153 Wood Street, 18 objectors, only one party, Beck.
c. 37 Flett Street, Preston, win at VCAT, congratulations to all involved. Decision has some impact on the weight of C137.
d. 71 Miller Street, Objections have gone in and next stage is to lobby councilors and prepare 5 minute submission to planning committee. Action: Dale to email Maria for supporting documents.
17. Other Business:
Next Meeting: 7.00pm, Tuesday, May 31st, and Tuesday the 28th of June (if needed) at 33 Dean Street, Preston. | Post