Too many experts and politicians offer simplistic solutions to the housing crisis, mostly framed by their own specific interests.
DADA has no interest other than a very genuine need to see every person in safe, affordable well designed housing that develops supportive, diverse and sustainable communities.
DADA believes a multi pronged strategy is needed and should include, but is not limited to, the following ideas:
- Removal of negative gearing concession on more than one investment property. According to Crikey, 63% of federal politicians own more than one property and 37% own three or more.
- Outlaw money laundering through real estate by implementing tranche 2 reforms so that lawyers, accountants and real estate professionals need to actually know their customers identity and where their money actually comes from.
- Place restrictions on the short term rental market specifically on the rental of whole houses and apartments. Spain and other countries have done this to alleviate the housing shortage.
- Institute significant fines for those who landbank empty properties. Ensure all fines go to the public housing building fund.
- Stop giving public land to developers for a measly 10% increase in public housing. Public assets should never be sold or worse, given to private operators.
- Build more public housing targeted specifically to those at highest risk of homelessness for example, women over 55, youth, those with disabilities, new migrants.
- Fix rents to alleviate rental stress as a cause of homelessness.
- Improve planning laws to include affirmative requirements for the type of housing needed to best address the needs of those at risk and the community generally.
- Improve planning laws to ensure good quality housing for all.
- Reinstate qualified government building inspectors and building surveyors to ensure better quality and safer homes.
- Implement an emergency rental fund drawing funds from taxing short term rentals.
(Photo: Migrant Mother:Florence Owens Thompson by Dorothea Lange/Library of Congress)